Chapter 6 Classification
classification() function is one of the workhorses of the
A taxonomic classification - or hierarchy - is a fundamental set of information about any taxon. Biological taxonomy is arranged in a hierarchical fashion, with each species taxon name fitting into genera, and genera fitting into families, and so on all the way up to just a few categories of very high level organization.
classification() has a number of high level features:
- It is vectorized. That is, it accepts any number of inputs and the output length should equal the input length
- It accepts various inputs:
- Taxonomic names as character strings
- Taxonomic identifiers as character stings or numeric values
- Any output of the various
- When there is data available, it always returns a data.frame, facilitating use downstream
6.2 Other sections?